The Wortman pumping station is one of three pumping stations that were used to drain the Eastern Flevoland polder. It's the other two pumping stations pumping station Lovink Bee Harderhaven (opposite Harderwijk) and the Colijn pumping station Bee Ketelhaven† The last two pumping stations are electric pumping stations; the Wortman pumping station, on the other hand, is a diesel pumping station.
The Wortman Pumping Station is named after dr. ir. Hendrik Wortman (1859-1939), an important figure in the history of the Zuiderzee works† From 1919 to 1929, Wortman was director-general of the Zuiderzee Works Department, whose task was to construct the polders.
On September 13, 1956, the ring dike closed around the Eastern Flevoland polder. The Wortman Pumping Station was put into operation in November 1956. On June 27, 1957, Eastern Flevoland officially fell dry.
The Wortman pumping station remained in operation even after the polder became dry. It drains the low section of the Eastern and Southern Flevoland† The pumping installation consists of four centrifugal pumps. In normal operation, the pump speed is approximately 110 revolutions per minute. The total capacity of the four pumps is 2,000 m³ of water per minute at a head of 6 metres. The pump is driven by four 7-cylinder 4-stroke diesel engines of the Stork-Hesselman type, with a capacity of 736 kW.